Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Why I will never be a child psychologist

Anyone who has ever worked with children knows that there is one question you NEVER ask: What are you drawing?

I asked a child that question today. He wasn't done with his picture, so I figured it was a safe question this one time. I was wrong. He responded, "Guess!"



At the time the only thing drawn was the red thing in the middle. So I guessed puddle or something. I was wrong. "Noooo! It's a bear!"

Oh.

In this moment I realized I would never work as a child psychologist (not that I was planning on that anyway) because analyzing pictures that children have drawn is crucial. Imagine if a traumatized child I was working with drew this, and I guessed puddle. A child who is already struggling now sucks at drawing. Then because I couldn't help, the kid doesn't think anyone can help and has even bigger trust issues. I can't emotionally deal with that. Thank you, child psychologists, for being smarter than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment